There can be a number of reasons for why some people have crooked teeth. Some crooked teeth can be hereditary or can be from injury, conditions, even disease. There are some people where the mouth is too small and this can crowd the teeth causing them to shift. Other people may have a situation where the upper jaw and lower jaw are not the same size which results in an overbite or under bite. This misalignment can cause teeth to move or create gaps which will cause other teeth to fall or slide. Other reasons could be due to improper dental fillings or crowns, or even gum disease. In children, there are factors of thumb sucking, pacifier or bottle use past the age of 3, and early loss of baby teeth.
Whatever the reason, having crooked teeth can be an embarrassment to many. This could result in shyness, lack of confidence, lack of smiling, and other psychological issues. But to even more of a serious nature, crooked teeth can lead to problems that can affect your health.
Crooked teeth are correctable with the help of orthodontia. This, in most cases, means using some type of dental braces. There are several types of braces today. There are traditional braces, clear, and eve removable aligners also. You may only need a retainer, or choose a porcelain veneer that covers the tooth completely.
Not all of us may have the genetics for a perfect smile, but with proper care of our teeth at home and with the dentist’s suggestions, and maybe just a bit of orthodontics, we can all have healthier teeth and a gorgeous smile.
Call a Dentist in Edmond, Dr. Neely at (405) 302-0100 for an appointment. We serve patients from Oklahoma City, Edmond, and surrounding areas.
- How to Take Care of Dental Veneers and Maintain Them - 04/24/2019
- Top 6 Ways to Naturally Whiten Your Teeth at Home - 03/15/2019
- Dental Flossing and Why You Should Make It A Habit - 12/14/2018
- How does Invisalign Work - 11/30/2013
- The Affordable Care Act: Dental - 11/30/2013
- Fact or Fiction: Smokeless Tobacco Isn’t Bad For You - 11/22/2013
- Why do my teeth become crooked - 11/17/2013
- How does tooth decay form? - 11/16/2013
- Fact or Fiction: Sugar Causes Cavities - 11/15/2013
- Why do my gums bleed? - 11/12/2013